In a nutshell. Some highlights from the recent Queens Speech mixing protecting society with improved support for victims and help with tackling the root causes of crime.
- New sentencing laws will ensure the most serious violent offenders, including terrorists, serve longer in custody;
- Establishing a Royal Commission to review and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the criminal justice process;
- Ensure those charged with knife possession face swift justice.
- Ensure the courts work better for those who engage with them, including victims of domestic abuse;
- New legislation will be brought forward to support victims of crime and their families.
- New laws will require schools, police, councils and health authorities to work together to prevent serious crime;